It has become a tradition that I fill out the same survey every year on New Year’s Eve. I’ve been slacking on it, but I’ll do it now!
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
- I got on a plane!
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
- I didn’t make any resolutions last year, and I haven’t made any this year. I’m not really into resolutions, but I have certain goals as to how to make my life better and that sort of thing.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
- No, but 2013 will have at least two births.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
- My grandfather.
5. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
A stable relationship with a straight man, but that’s akin to asking for a flying pig to skate on hell’s ice when it freezes over.Last year’s answer makes me giggle because apparently a flying pig must be skating on hell’s frozen ice. Anyway, I would really like more independence. I would like to travel more. I would like to start something new.
6. What countries did you visit?
- Still don’t have a passport.
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why:
- September 3rd, 2012–the date Nick asked me out. December 30th, 2012–the date I finally got over my fear of flying.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
- Survival? Honestly, that’s a huge thing given how this year went. Also, I got a job, so that’s something.
9. What was your biggest failure?
- I still haven’t been able to develop a no-calorie chocolate.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
- Yes. This has been the year for that, it seems.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
- My car, definitely.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
- Those who have supported me through the crazy ups and downs and who have always had my best interests at heart.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
- I don’t even want to go there.
14. Where did most of your money go?
- Xbox games, new phone, iPad, random stuff at The Grove…
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- I’m always excited, but I was ridiculously excited for San Francisco. I also got really excited when Nick moved in, and again when he and I decided that we would take a vacation to Savannah, GA.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
- Maybe “Shake It Off” by Florence + the Machine.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? Fatter, but taking measures to change my lifestyle.
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
- I wish I had taken my needs into consideration more. I wish I had dedicated more time to my studies at times. I wish I had tried earlier to overcome my fears.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
- I wish I did less math. I didn’t do any math.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
- Christmas is over, stop making me sad.
21. There is no number 21. Well, that’s lame. Guess I’ll just have to make one up. How do you feel about 2013?
- I feel like I’ve made so much personal progress in the past six months, and I am hoping that I’m able to continue that into 2013.
22. Did you fall in love in 2012?
- I can honestly say that I did.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
- BUNHEADS. Seriously, Amy Sherman-Palladino, I am so glad you’re back.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
- I don’t hate anyone.
26. What was the best book you read?
- The Hunger Games trilogy. Oh God, so good.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
- Sleeping at Last. End of discussion.
28. What did you want and get?
- Someone special.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
- BRIDESMAIDS. Always.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
- I went to classes. I turned 20.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
- Honestly, I’m satisfied.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
- I wore stuff. I discovered leggings, ergo many dresses were worn.
34. What kept you sane?
- Therapy. Friends. Loved ones.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
- I have a girlcrush on Rachel Maddow.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
- The election, all of the measures to restrict birth control, ObamaCare, etc.
37. Whom did you miss?
- It’s my custom to miss people if I’m not with them.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
- My counselor.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
- It takes time, but you’ll get there.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
- “Honestly, nothing’s ever made sense ’til you were next to me.”